Technology that supports Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) efforts is on the rise.
With movements spurred by a renewed interest and fight for social justice on all fronts, many have turned an eye to companies and their lack of diversity. In our current climate, organizations have made strides, but it can be challenging to know where to start. Beyond creating an internal Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) team or hiring a third-party expert, companies have turned to technology to help form a proactive strategy to address the current issue.
That said, diversity and inclusion technology, including group mentorship technology, is an emerging industry. Many businesses are unaware of their benefits and are wary of taking on the investment without evidence of said benefits. As companies shift their focus to improving diversity, they can rely on technology to help them achieve their DEI goals.
Here are some of the practices that this type of technology can support:
- Improve the Diversity of Talent Pipelines: For many companies, DEI commitment often comes after a business is established. That means this commitment is a reactive solution to a problem that is already there. Technology can help teams identify top talent from a diverse pipeline to improve diversity or commit to it during founding.
- Eliminate Unconscious Bias: Fighting unconscious bias is one of the most important things to consider when implementing an effective diversity and inclusion strategy. As unconscious bias is often unintentional, it’s difficult to address. Most people are unaware of implicit bias to begin with. That said, technology can mitigate the effects of unconscious bias through both proactive and reactive measures.
- Collect Data & Analytics: Having a broad knowledge of your company’s personnel is the first step to addressing any lack of diversity. Technology can give your hard numbers and data that can help drive your hiring decisions.
Benefits of Diversity and Inclusion Technology
Technology that supports diversity has a wide range of applications that support the vital strategies for improving DEI in the workplace or within an organization. That said, there are various forms of software to choose from; each has its own set of strengths in a specific area.
Here’s a breakdown of the top forms of DEI technology and their benefits.
Support DEI Efforts in Your Organization
Workplace Training Software
While there are several diversity training strategies available, technology can serve as an educational tool for your entire staff. As stated earlier, it can be challenging to overcome unconscious bias. Though difficult to overcome, it’s important to address unconscious bias and begin an open conversation regarding bias in all its forms.
Of course, this should begin with your hiring teams, but all staff benefit from conversations about diversity and inclusion. The status quo is often accepted as the norm, so utilizing educational tools and software to help your staff understand your company’s commitment to DEI in a more broad sense.
Educational software can help staff navigate encounters with people from different cultures, races, and backgrounds. Additionally, it can facilitate conversations that bring your staff closer and make all staff members feel heard.
Gain Access to Diverse Talent Pools
Group Mentorship Programs
Combatting the biggest obstacle to increased diversity in a workplace means addressing the lack of diversity in an organization’s talent. While this may not be purposeful, it’s a case of intentionality. If you want to hire diverse talent, your organization must seek diverse talent pools. That’s where group mentorship technology comes in.
With a virtual mentorship program, like Mentor Spaces, your business gains an advantage in the hiring realm. Not only do you gain access to a diverse talent pool, but your organization can help to mentor these young professionals and students before they enter the workforce.
Create a Comprehensive Overview with In-Depth Insights
Do you know where your organization stands in relation to diversity and inclusion? Do you have hard numbers that provide proof of your commitment to diversity?
Pledging to increase diversity within your organization requires leaders to take a good look at the numbers and trends. Analytics software provides business with critical insights related to diversity and inclusion. From there, you and your team can set actionable goals to enhance DEI within your organization.
Is Diversity and Inclusion Technology Right for Your Organization?
There are some important things to consider before making a final decision. Here are some essentials to consider before implementing DEI technology for your organization.
- Consult with HR or Your DEI Team: Discuss the option with your internal experts. They will be able to identify a need for technology and advise you on the matter.
- Consider Cost: This is a simple business consideration. You have to make financially responsible decisions and may have to seek other less costly options.
- Build a Complete Diversity & Inclusion Strategy: Don’t rely on one software to fix your organization’s lack of diversity. You’ll need a comprehensive strategy that addresses the full scope of a DEI strategy.
Technology that supports diversity and inclusion efforts can be an invaluable asset to any organization that’s committed to improving DEI. However, it takes careful decision to ensure that you are getting the most out of your investment. One of the best ways to achieve this goal is to address the primary obstacle to diversity: hiring.
Mentor Spaces is the technology solution you’re looking for.
Mentor Spaces, a virtual mentorship platform, aims to support increased diversity, equity and inclusion in business by connecting underrepresented students and young professionals with businesses through group mentorship. This gives organizations access to diverse talent pools and makes it easy for businesses to find diverse talent in young professionals.